National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council
The National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC) or formerly called the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) is an agency of the Philippine government under the Department of National Defense, responsible for ensuring the protection and welfare of the people during disasters or emergencies.
In February 2010, Republic Act 10121 renamed, reorganized and expanded the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC). The following agencies now compose the NDRRMC:
- Chairperson – Secretary of Department of National Defense – Voltaire Gazmin
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Preparedness – Secretary of Interior and Local Government – Mar Roxas
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Response – Secretary of Department of Social Welfare and Development – Dinky Soliman
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Prevention and Mitigation – Secretary of the Department of Science and Technology
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Rehabilitation and Recovery – Director-General of the National Economic Development Authority
- Secretary of the Department of Health
- Secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Secretary of the Department of Agriculture
- Secretary of the Department of Education
- Secretary of the Department of Energy
- Secretary of the Department of Finance
- Secretary of the Department of Trade and Industry
- Secretary of the Department of Transportation and Communication
- Secretary of the Department of Budget and Management
- Secretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways
- Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs
- Secretary of the Department of Justice
- Secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment
- Secretary of the Department of Tourism
- The Executive Secretary;
- Secretary of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process
- Chairman, Commission on Higher Education
- Chief of Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines
- Chief, Philippine National Police
- The Press Secretary
- Secretary-General of the Philippine Red Cross
- Commissioner of the National Anti-Poverty Commission – Victims of Disasters and Calamities Sector
- Chairperson, National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women
- Chairman, Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
- Executive-Director of the Climate Change Office of the Climate Change Commission
- President, Government Service Insurance System
- President, Social Security System
- President, Philippine Health Insurance Corporation;
- President of the Union of Local Authorities of the Philippines
- President of the League of Provinces in the Philippines
- President of the League of Municipalities in the Philippines
- President of the League of Cities in the Philippines
- President of the Liga ng Mga Barangay
- Four representatives from the CSOs
- One (1) representative from the Private Sector
- Administrator of the Office of Civil Defense.
On 20 February 2013, CNDR was nominated and affirmed by the national CSO constituency, selected and endorsed by the NDRRMC TMG Selection Committee, and consequently approved as the Private Sector Representative to the NDRRMC. CNDR President Ramon Isberto sits as the CNDR representative, with Conchita Ragragio as alternate.
Disaster Risk Reduction Network Philippines (DRRNetPhils)
The DRRNetPhils held its 3rd General Assembly last 18-19 July 2013 at the University of the Philippines, Quezon City. Its theme was “Localizing Partnerships, Forging Synergies for Better Disaster Risk Reduction and Management in Communities. Representing CNDR were Conchita Ragragio and Karen Tria, who participated in the Committee Assessment and Planning workshops and the election of the Lead and Co-Lead Convenors.
DRRNet Phils. is a national tertiary formation of more than 300 Philippine Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), communities, practitioners and advocates adhering to the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and implementing the Community-Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM).
The network has been instrumental in the Philippine Congress’s passing of Republic Act 10210, the formulation of the Strategic National Action Plan (SNAP) and continues to engage in local advocacy (local ordinances enabling CBDRM) and modeling (institutionalization of CBDRM at local level).
Alliance of Sphere Advocates of the Philippines
The purpose of the Alliance of Sphere Advocates of the Philippines is to provide the coordination and support platform to improve the application of Sphere standards to humanitarian response and to enhance accountability to the stakeholders and beneficiaries during emergencies. The goal is to ensure (among humanitarian stakeholders) that people affected by disasters or conflict have access to at least the minimum requirements for life with dignity and security, including adequate water, sanitation, food, nutrition, shelter and healthcare.
Members of the Alliance of Sphere Advocates of the Philippines gathered for a conference on July 28-29, 2013 at the Lutheran World Relief office in Davao City. The purpose of the conference was to go over the Alliance’s terms of reference, assess the progress of the members’ plans developed during the Sphere Training of Trainers in September 2012 and review the Sphere training modules as well as craft the Alliance’s Action Plan for the year. Conchita Ragragio attended the conference, representing CNDR, one of the founding members of the ASAP.
Participants to the conference agreed to create a Steering Committee headed by the Lutheran World Relief as the Lead Convenor. The ASAP members’ initial advocacy activities include courtesy visits to the DSWD, the NDRRMC and the league of local governments to introduce the alliance, as well as the Sphere minimum standards for humanitarian assistance.
Asia Pacific Alliance for Disaster Management
The Asia Pacific Alliance for Disaster Management is a trans-national disaster aid alliance that works to facilitate cooperation and understanding between governments, private companies and NGOs in the Asia Pacific region.
Five disaster aid national platforms from countries in the Asia-Pacific region aim to deliver effective and efficient disaster assistance through disaster preparedness, risk reduction, relief and recovery.
The objective of the project is twofold: first, to create a disaster aid platform in each country in the Asia-Pacific region, referred to as a “National Platform”; and, second, to establish and operate a regional alliance, to be known as the Asia Pacific Alliance for Disaster Management or the “Asia Pacific Alliance”. The Alliance will facilitate mutual cooperation among National Platforms and across the member countries and, in doing so, will further facilitate cooperation and understanding between governments, private sector enterprise and NGOs and the provision of effective and efficient disaster aid.
The Mission of the Asia Pacific Alliance is to facilitate collaboration amongst the member countries for the purpose of delivering effective and efficient disaster assistance through disaster preparedness, risk reduction, relief and recovery.
The Asia Pacific Alliance will achieve the Mission through:
(a) Fostering of cooperation and coordination between government, the private sector and non-governmental organizations with the aim of delivering more effective disaster prevention, response and relief;
(b) Sharing of research, information and experience and the promotion of mutual support among the member countries; and
(c) Strengthening of each member country’s capacity and infrastructure in relation to disaster management and relief.
The official members are Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Korea, Sri Lanka. At present, Indonesia and Japan have established national platforms. The APA is currently working on the formalization of the national platform in the Philippines and Korea, and in Sri Lanka, it will start a three-year project funded by the Japanese government that will result in the creation of a national platform.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council The National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC) or formerly called the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) is an agency of the Philippine government under the Department of National Defense, responsible for ensuring the protection and welfare of the people during disasters or emergencies. In February 2010, […]